Our annual holidays for 2017 was destined to be the Tuscany region of Italy as it was somewhere myself and Helen had never been before. The planning for this trip was a bit vague and all started with a flight being booked from Bristol to Pisa some accommodation being booked and a very rough plan.
This is a brief snapshot of what we got up to in the two weeks.

When we boarded our EasyJet flight for Pisa at Bristol Airport we were informed our flight would be delayed leaving due to strong winds at Pisa. On our approach to Pisa the fields appeared to be flooded with water and once on the ground the airport surface was also noted to have large puddles of water as can be seen below.

Making our way from the airport to our hotel we noted that the subway in the railway station was being mopped out by workers and as we walked up the main street shops were sweeping out water and stacking waterlogged goods outside. when we got near our hotel this was the site that greeted us in one of the side streets.

A bit further up the road the underpass to reach our hotel was all cordened off and was under 2ft of water. Fortunately the footpath on the side was raised and ok

We discovered later that they had a night of intense storms and rain that had caused flooding in Livorno further south killing 6 people.

It was then off to visit the most famous attraction in Pisa the “Torre Pendente”, or better known to us as “The Leaning Tower of Pisa “. This is located in the “Campo dei Miracoli” and is one of four buildings located here. The¬†“Campo dei Miracoli” is located in the North West corner of the city inside the city wall

The four buildings are as follows

The Tower

It is the bell tower for the site and building commenced in 1173 and finished in 1350

 

Duomo

Photo: Helen Meaker

This is the main cathedral building dating from 1063

 

The Baptistry 

The Baptistry dates from 1152-1284 and inside has magnificent accoustics which we witnessed in a short demonstration

 

Campo Santo Cemetery

Photo: Helen Meaker

This building was begun in 1278, and unfortunately was damaged during WW2. It is the burial place of the local dignities of the church with tombs from 199x and 200x being noted. All the tombs are located around the edge and are under cover. The internal side of the outer walls feature huge murals on them.

 

 

 

 

,

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *